The guest today is a part of the RBTR family. Starting as Kyle's best friend back in their college days and now co-owning LoopAlien, Dr. Chris Page is an affable character. If you want to hear about the early days of RBTR, hear about new hardware, and the marriage of 3D printing with MYOG, then this episode is for you.
- Loop Alien is a hardware company that provides tools and kits to make outdoor activities easier and more accessible.
- The design process for Loop Alien's products involves careful consideration of functionality, finishing, and material choice.
- Loop Alien's focus on flatware design allows for cost-effective manufacturing and efficient use of materials.
- While 3D printing is becoming more accessible, it is important to be cautious when using 3D printed items for load critical applications.
- The combination of 3D printing and RBTR fabrics offers opportunities for customization and innovation in outdoor gear.
- The future of outdoor hardware lies in solving problems and addressing pain points, with an emphasis on user-driven innovation.
00:00- Introduction and Background
02:13- Early Days of Ripstop by the Roll
04:11- Background and Role of Chris
07:26- Formation of Loop Alien
09:55- Loop Alien's Products and Mission
19:14- Loop Alien's Design Process
23:55- Importance of Flatware in Loop Alien's Designs
27:25- Materials Used in Loop Alien's Hardware
31:07- The Cord Winder and Other Loop Alien Products
36:01- The Guideline Tensioner (GLT)
40:15- The Importance of Finishing in Loop Alien's Hardware
44:04- The Choice of Aluminum and Titanium in Loop Alien's Hardware
50:48- Customization and Material Properties in Composites
53:06- Limitations of 3D Printing for Load Critical Applications
54:25- Benefits of 3D Printing for Prototyping and Tinkering
55:54- Examples of 3D Printed Outdoor Gear
57:48- The Potential of 3D Printing and RBTR Fabrics
59:47- Innovative Uses of Magnets in 3D Printing
01:01:39- The Future of Outdoor Hardware and Problem Solving
01:03:06- The Role of 3D Printing in Democratizing Manufacturing
01:04:57- Recommended Resources for 3D Printing and Materials
01:06:20- Favorite Filament for 3D Printing
01:07:38- Target Demographic for Loop Alien Products
01:09:06- The Beginner Version of the Target Demographic