Customer Project: High Sierra Top Quilt

by Scott A

This is an ultralight top quilt for use in a hammock.  I am 6'2" and was having trouble finding an affordable quilt for my size.  This will be used in the Sierra Nevadas in the snow, down to about 10* F.  I've slept in this in the high 40's and it was way too warm.

Customer Project: High Sierra Top Quilt
Customer Project: High Sierra Top Quilt
Customer Project: High Sierra Top Quilt
Customer Project: High Sierra Top Quilt
Customer Project: High Sierra Top Quilt
Customer Project: High Sierra Top Quilt
Customer Project: High Sierra Top Quilt
Customer Project: High Sierra Top Quilt

Materials

3 yds black 1.1 ripstop, calendared (might use .67 ripstop next time)
3 yds orange 1.1 ripstop, calendared
40" piece of 1/8" shock cord
2 cordlocks
1 spool black gutermann mara 70 thread.
22 ounces of reclaimed down from a comforter
Related Products:

How do I make it?

1. Laid out and cut both sides, including all the lines for the karo step.
2. Rolled each hem 1/2" on to itself and sewed it down.
3. Checked fit of each piece to make sure they still lined up.
4. Cut and sewed each karo step baffle as I went.  Cut one, sew it, repeat.  I did this because I wasn't 100% sure my calculations and measurements would be accurate. 
5. Once the baffles were in with a 1/2" seam allowance giving 2.5" of loft, I starting sewing the baffles to the orange.  A long, tedious process.
6. I would sew one row or column of baffles, then lay out the fabric to make sure I had done it right and it wasn't pulling oddly.
7. Measured and cut the circles for the foot box, I decided to do a round foot box for this, but might try other shapes in the future.  Stuffed the foot box with ~ 3/4 oz of down and sewed it to the quilt.
8. I double stitched around the whole quilt, leaving one section open, about 12" for stuffing.  At this time I also added elastic tabs at each karo step intersection with the end of the quilt if I ever want to tie this to a sleep pad.  Just sandwiched them between the two layers and triple sewed them.  Also added a button with an elastic catch at the top to give a little forgiveness when I move around.
9. I sewed in the channel for the shock cord and added eyelits to run the cord.  Cord locks aren't pictured, b/c I ran out and had to get more.
9. Stuffed with reclaimed down and then sewed up the last 12" stretch.