Customer Project: 3 season Apex Top Quilt
by Zach Scofield - Scofield Industries
The quilt measures out to a finished width of 56" wide at the shoulders. It maintains this width to the hips where the quilt tapers to 48" at the feet. The foot box is a rectangular shape and is large enough for a size 11-12 foot. Its a bit wider as I like to have some room for my feet. I sewed the quilt up 15" to the mid - top of my calves. the overall length comes in at 72" which brings the quilt comfortably to just under my nose when cinched and allows for enough coverage on my shoulders in the hammock.
The quilt has a drawstring cinch along the top edge using 1/8" shock-cord and retained double squeeze stoppers at each side. I also added a 1/2" Gros Grain tab on each side that has a snap installed to close the quilt around the neck for really cold nights. It has qty. 3, 3/8" Gros Grain loops down each side of the quilt spaced at 12" apart to help secure under a pad if desired. It also has a single loop at the foot end for hanging the quilt.
The quilt weighs in at 1.25lbs (20 oz.). It easily stuffs to 6" x 10" and could be compressed more if needed. Maybe I'll make a Sil-poly stuff sack at a later date.
1.1 Ripstop Nylon calendared - Racing Red
1/2" Mil Spec Gros Grain
1/8" Shock cord
Double Squeeze stoppers
Mara 70 Thread
3.6oz. Climashield Apex XL
How do I make it?
2. Attach any channels, snaps, poppers and loops needed to one layer.
3. Stitch top, bottom and insulation together. Leave about 8-10" open at one end to turn right side out.
4. Turn quilt right side out and close the opening with a hidden/ladder stitch.
5. Sew up quilt to desired height.
6. Create foot box insert and sew to quilt inside out.
7. Add snaps to neck tab and drawstring to top channel and enjoy!