Black Watch Plaid
Custom outdoorINK® Black Watch plaid. This fabric is printed on-demand just for you at our Durham, NC USA headquarters.
Choose Fabric, Amount, and Color above. Note that only Full Yards will be printed continuously (i.e. no gaps). For example, if you order (2) Fat Quarters or Swatches, you will receive (2) separate prints.
Full Yard/Fat Quarter/Swatch
See below for a size comparison:
Put into words...
- Full yard - Measures width of fabric x 36". Sometimes this is also called a "linear yard". Use with medium to large projects.
- Fat Quarter - Measures half fabric width x 18". One-quarter the size of a Full Yard. Useful for small-medium size projects.
- Swatch - Measures 8" x 8". Useful for checking out a pattern or looking at colors before buying yardage for a larger project.
Please allow 3-5 days for processing/printing of your outdoorINK® print order. For the most accurate and up-to-date shipping times, please visit our shipping time update page HERE.
We guarantee a continuous piece of fabric for all full yard orders less than 10 yds. Due to the print process, we cannot guarantee a continuous piece for any full yard orders greater than 10 yds.
Note that only Full Yards will be printed continuously (i.e. no gaps). For example, if you order (2) Fat Quarters or Swatches, you will receive (2) separate prints.
Please see our FAQ and continuous cut policy to make sure you receive cuts that work for your project.
- 1.6 oz poly box ripstop - 2-3% in length and 0-1% in width.
- MEMBRANE 15 poly taffeta - 0-1% in length and 0-1% in width.
Read below for more info on outdoorINK®, print on-demand, fabric selection, pattern details, and ordering/shipping.
What is outdoorINK®?
1. It allows us full control over the process and workflow. Producing the highest-end digital textile prints requires careful attention to detail on everything from base fabric selection/testing, artwork design, color management, equipment maintenance/tuning, and Q/A checks. This is something we take incredible pride in and work to perfect each and every day. For us, in-house print capability is a MUST.
2. It simplifies the supply chain. With in-house print capability, we keep production costs low and lead times short. Fast, simple, and cost-effective.
High-End Digital Printing
For the next six months, we worked both internally and with industry experts to come up with a system that could reliably produce high-end digital prints on our specialty outdoor fabrics. The result is the print division at RBTR.
Color Palette - Modern digital printing offers a great amount of flexibility when it comes to color. Unlike screen printed goods, you can reproduce any number or combination of colors in a single print. Truly continuous tones can also be achieved.
Color Brilliance - The dye sublimation print process allows extraordinary color brilliance due to the ink's molecular-level bond with the transparent polyester fibers.
Color Fastness - By nature of the dye sublimation process, ink is permanently bonded to the polyester yarn at a molecular level. That's fancy speak for "it won't come off". This means that our printed fabrics are incredibly color fast. They will resist fading and discoloration even after washing and sun exposure.
Image Resolution - Our high-end digital print method can support image resolution of up to 1440 dpi. This number represents the "Dots Per Inch" in the image/pattern file and is an indicator of image resolution (higher the better).
After the image is printed to fabric, our tests have shown there to be no discernible difference in clarity beyond 300 dpi. Thus, we mandate that any pattern or image we print be at least this resolution. This ensures clean lines and a high-resolution end result for your printed fabric.
Digital vs Screen Printing
1. Limitation on number of colors. Screen printing has an upper limit on the number of colors that can be used in a pattern. Depending on the sophistication of the print setup, this is typically 4-11 colors. In contrast, digital printing has no limit on colors that can be used in print artwork. Gradients, photos, and complex artwork are no problem for digital. Coupled with the latest equipment to produce high-end resolution, the design possibilities are only limited by imagination.
2. Time consuming and costly to setup. With screen printing, molds must be made and processes adapted to reliably run EACH new print. This is both time consuming and costly. With digital printing, we can run a myriad of different designs all in the same day with little to no setup time between.
3. Susceptibility to cracking, fading, and peeling. On a basic level, screen printing creates patterns on fabric by laying down a topical coating of ink in a defined area. This can leave the print susceptible to cracking, fading, and peeling over time. By contrast, dye-sublimation digital printing makes a bond to the polyester yarn at a molecular level. This makes the ink transfer nearly permanent under normal conditions.
How does print on-demand work?
In a nutshell, print on-demand means more options and maximum creative firepower for your DIY project or product development.
Choosing your fabric
1.6 oz poly box ripstop
This fabric is specifically finished to give the softest possible hand feel for polyester. A high-thread count also increases strength and makes hemming easier when sewing.
Typical applications include hammocks, synthetic quilts, synthetic pillows, flags, stuff sacks, lightweight bags, and lining material.
|Width||60'' (*58" guaranteed usable)|
|Weight||1.6 oz/yd2 (*printing typically adds 0.05-0.1 oz/yd2)|
|Denier||40D x 40D|
|Weave||box grid ripstop (3mm x 3mm)|
|Thread Count||195 x 130 (warp/weft)|
|Print shrinkage (length)||~2-3%|
|Print shrinkage (width)||< 1/2"|
|Finish/Coating||Breathable with DWR, uncalendered|
MEMBRANE 15 poly taffeta
To make MEMBRANE 15, we start with a custom woven, high thread-count polyester base material. In addition to adding durability, this reduces moisture absorption compared to a nylon base.
Combined with a DWR (Durable Water Repellent) coating, the result is significantly less weight gain and improved comfort (i.e. no clammy feeling) when the fabric is subjected to rain or highly humid environments.
All this makes MEMBRANE 15 excel in a variety of applications including quilts, jackets, sleeping bags, garments, pillows, linings, and more.
|Width||58'' (*56" guaranteed usable)|
|Weight||0.9 oz/yd2 (*printing typically adds 0.05-0.1 oz/yd2)|
|Denier||15D x 15D|
|Thread Count||220 x 170 (warp/weft)|
|Print shrinkage (length)||< 1%|
|Print shrinkage (width)||< 1/4"|
|Finish/Coating||Breathable with DWR, calendered|
|Pattern||Black Watch plaid|
|Repeat||5" x 5" base square pattern|
|Order Change/Combination Policy||
To maintain fast and efficient fulfillment, please note that no order changes/combinations are permitted after order placement (except address changes). Please see FAQ page for full details.
|Continuous Cut Policy||
Please see below for our continuous cut policy. Note this policy applies to each separate product on the order:
Fabrics - < 20 yds guaranteed continuous
OutdoorINK® prints - < 10 yds guaranteed continuous
Insulation - < 5 yds guaranteed continuous
Zipper - < 25 ft guaranteed continuous
We always attempt to give a continuous-cut if possible, but splices are present in various materials due to the manufacturing process. Unless otherwise notified, all orders will be cut per the above policy.
IMPORTANT: If you are ordering larger amounts and have specific cut requirements, we can make cuts that work for you, but you MUST list these reqts in the notes section of the order. These notes can be added on the cart page.
|Shipping Availability||USA and International|
USPS Priority Mail or First-Class - Tracked and Insured. Select larger orders shipped via USPS Parcel Select or UPS ground.
Domestic (USA) flat-rate shipping
|Estimated Delivery Date||In-stock orders typically ship within 24 hours. OutdoorINK® print on-demand fabrics typically ship within 3-5 days of order placement. For the most up to date shipping times, please check our update page HERE.|